The UCLA Institute of American Cultures (IAC) fellowships are awarded to current UCLA graduate students and predoctoral candidates with demonstrated interest in ethnic studies to aid in the completion of a thesis or dissertation. Terms of awarded fellowships may range from 1 to 3 quarters, and cover in-state tuition and fees plus a stipend of $6,000-$7,400 per quarter. The acceptance of a fellowship includes a commitment to contributing to the activities of the sponsoring Ethnic Studies Research Center. The Bunche Center for African American Studies will be awarding a 2020-2021 Graduate/Predoctoral Fellowship.
- Open to current UCLA graduate students and predoctoral candidates
- Demonstrated interest in African American, American Indian, Asian American, or Chicana/o studies
- Fellowship in African American studies open only to doctoral students who will have advanced to candidacy by the beginning of the fellowship year.
- Restrictions apply regarding acceptance of supplemental employment and/or other awards during the fellowship year.
The UCLA Institute of American Cultures (IAC) invites applications for support of research on African Americans, American Indians, Asian Americans, and Chicanas/os for 2020-2021. The Institute also invites proposals on interethnic relations that will increase collaboration between the Centers and/or between the Centers and other campus units.
- UCLA faculty, staff, graduate students, and IAC visiting scholars.
- Reimbursement basis only.
- Funds for purchase of permanent equipment provided only under exceptional circumstances.
- Conference travel, whether for presenting or attending, is not reimbursable.
- Grant Period: July 1, 2020 through May 31, 2021. Applications available October 15, 2019 and must be received by 11:59 p.m., March 1, 2020. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applicants will be notified in May.
- Prior to submission of the application, applicants should briefly discuss their proposal with the Coordinator of the appropriate Center, or in the case of interethnic proposals, with each applicable Center.
- All grant recipients, where appropriate, must comply with UCLA’s Protection of Human Subjects in Research before receiving funding.
- If you have been awarded this grant for the last two academic year (2018-19 and 2019-20), you are not eligible to apply for a 2020-21 grant.
To Apply: Application available online at https://sa.ucla.edu/IAC/ResearchGrant